Followers

Friday, October 7, 2011

Time Consuming Searches

Years ago I loved Walmart, but in the past few years I have changed my mind about that store. They are the biggest seller of goods to the American people and if you do some label looking you will read "Made in China" on just about everything you pick up. How long has this been going on, well it was not over night. I was in a rush the other day and yes, I ended up in Walmart. The local K-mart left town along with other smaller stores. We live in the boon docks so we have to travel to 3 other near by towns to do our shopping. It is either Walmart or the Dollar Store unless we travel even further to the larger cities. I was looking to replace our tooth brushes. I grabbed a package that contained two, after all my hubby could use a new one too. In my haste I did not bother to look on the back of the wrapper until I got home. You guessed it, they were made in China. I walked into my kitchen and started looking around, I picked up 3 things that I have had in my kitchen for many years......all made in China. The stuff has slowly infiltrated my home over many years, right under my nose. I am tempted to trash it all, but some things came from my daughters, they were gifts. It is tougher yet to throw things out only to have to spend good hard-earned cash to replace them all. It would be crazy on my part to do something so insane as that. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate the Chinese. They are hard-working people who need to make a living and provide for their families. I am not upset with them, but rather the big business in this country that has sold us out by taking the jobs away from hard-working Americans who are also trying to provide for themselves and their families. Somewhere it all went so wrong, ever so slowly, right under our noses, while we were sleeping and had our eyes wide shut. I was sick about those toothbrushes, especially after I have been preaching about the very thing that I set out to do with this blog. I resign myself to do better in the future. I am on the soap box to do my part and will continue to be faithful to my mission. One thing I do plan to do is to make a list on the side bar of goods that are still made in the USA. My husband and I did find out last week that you can no longer buy a television that is made in the US. That put a damper on our quest to help stimulate the economy by buying a new flat screen :(

3 comments:

  1. i love your post! thanks for sharing... God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very good point there. I was born and raised in Croatia, but I moved to the United States to be with my husband who is an American citizen. Things are the same in my home country as well. Everything is imported (mostly made in China) and that's only making the economy that is already bad even worse. People are losing jobs, because someone somewhere is willing to work for less. The quality of these products is questionable as well. And just like you, I don't hate Chinese or any other nation (especially being an immigrant myself), but I completely agree with you... it is important to buy what's been produced in this country. I'm also a firm believer that buying handmade things stimulates economy as well.

    Have a great day,

    Ivana

    P.S. I wish you had a follow button enabled, I'd definitely follow this blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize, just found the follow button :). My bad

    ReplyDelete